Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

27 Feb 2014

Making Sugar Showpieces - An art that I enjoyed!


Posting this post about sugar showpiece would meant that my graduation day is approaching!! Like finally?
Woohoo... Left a week more of school (basically examination week) before my final group presentation
and I am out of there. I shall blog about my final presentation next time! Anyway, I had a 5 days module
on sugar works and was taught to do sugar casting, sugar pulling as well as blowing. Among the entire 17
months course, this module was my favorite as I could express my artistic style through the showpieces. In
a team of 2 throughout the 5 days, my friend and I created 5 showpieces, only to demolish everyone of
them (except the last) at the end of the day.
The 1st day was basically to hands on and get a feel of the extreme heat! Despite the 2 layers of glove, the
heat could still penetrate through, making sure my hands were constantly in perspiration mode. Such heat
would not stop us from assembling our masterpiece!

 Showpiece #1 - Fruit Farm    
Started blowing sugar in the first day itself! Dam difficult to blow but managed to get an apple done! My
friend was practicing doing some twirls and leaves using molds. 

A bit too much text above? I shall go straight to the point then...

Showpiece #2 - Fruit PartyMore blowing to practice my skill although the shapes were slightly (ok, very) mutated.
Spot the lemon and bell pepper? A bit of rose petal design on the casting itself. Basically
I handled the blowing part while my friend focused on the swirls and leaves. This is what
I would call assigning specialization! 

Showpiece #3 - Do you want to build a snowman?
Based on the recent trend of the Disney movie called 'Frozen' and one of the songs 'Do you
want to build a snowman?', we too, decided to build a snowman! Not with snow and magic
but with heat and sugar LOL! Practiced a bit of shape manipulation to create objects such as
the broom. Damn difficult to blow up large regular sphere shape sugar pieces as the room
humidity was not right in the first place. I did managed to blow one up as large as your face!

Showpiece #4 - Into the depth
Day 4 already and we got more enthusiastic and adventurous, so we decided to go for
the underwater theme. That day was when I started to blow teardrop and oval shaped
sugar pieces, creating whales mating and a bird..? Underwater? Trying out casting for
irregular shaped base, with 4 rectangular blocks of water swirling design as backdrop.
Not to forget a mesh of spiderweb-like extract for additional contrast.  

Showpiece #5 - Do you want to build a snowman? Again?
The final day of our sugar showpiece module as well as our assessment day! A new
improved version of 'Do you want to build a snowman?'. A very Christmas theme with
the tree for extended height purpose and presents to showcase fine detailing of ribbons.
Hi cute little snowman! It was so much fun and I bet it would be my first and last chance
to do sugar showpieces.

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment